Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Short Interview

Share
Here's a short interview I did for Simplyshredded.com last week.

---

Q: How did you get started with bodybuilding?

A: Think I was around 16. Always wanted to be lean and strong. Started going to the gym with my buddies, using some haphazard Flex-magazine-inspired bullshit-routine. But it was fun and I enjoyed it.

Q: Where does your motivation come from?

A: First of all, I was fat as hell and I thought bodybuilding was going to magically unfatten me (which it didn’t). Second of all, I was fascinated by strength. Lifting big things just sounded very appealing to me. I wanted to be strong. A friend of the family was a lumberjack. Never went to the gym a day in his life, but was strong as an ox and there where various stories floating around about him. How he once lifted a log two guys were struggling with to get off the ground, stuff like that. I recall thinking I wanted to be like that one day. The one people told stories about.

Q: When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?

A: Normal cardio mostly. Brisk walking. For some clients, I use a mix of the two.

Q: What is your diet like?

A: My diet approach is called intermittent fasting. That means I fast 16 hours daily and eat three meals during an 8 hour feeding window. I make sure to get the great majority of my daily calorie intake post-workout. Diet is cyclical. More carbs, less fat on training days, vice versa for rest days. Protein stays relatively high.

Q: What is your supplementation like?

A: Fish oil, multivitamin and Vitamin D. Extra calcium if I’m going low on dairy. BCAA pre-workout if I train fasted. The occasional protein powder from time to time.

Q: Future plans?

A: Finishing my book and continue helping people get great results with intermittent fasting.

Q: Favorite quote?

A: “I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.” By William Blake.

Interview conducted by: Bob Kupniewski

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool beans, man. I like your quote.

BB.Wolf said...

Digging the quote. Unconventional is good. Helps to sift through the bullshit and what's blindly accepted.

Unknown said...

awesome. and i think most overweight people who want to pursue bodybuilding do so in an effort to not be fat anymore... too bad it takes more than just lifting big things.

joakim said...

hey Martin, awesome interview.

I have a question in regards with carb and fat intake.

You suggest high carb low fat on training days but the problem is that I do weight training 4 times per week and play soccer 2 times per week.

So the only truly inactive day left is Sunday.

Does that mean I have to go high carb low fat all week and only change it on Sundays?

I have been using the 16-8 method for 2 weeks now and it has helped me tremendously both in terms of fat loss and mental clarity.

Unknown said...

Not necessarily. It depends. What you have been doing so far seems to work very well. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I regard as nice post. Particularly the designation attracted me to review the intact story.

Unknown said...

Martin,

I think it's fair to say that most weightlifting folk consume way to much protein. What are your recommendations as to total protein? .6G/LBM ? From reading your posts I realize your not anal about food intake but you must follow some sort of general guidelines.

Unknown said...

Justy,

Read my latest article and you'll find my stance on that matter.

http://leangains.blogspot.com/2010/03/maintaining-low-body-fat.html




My name is Martin Berkhan and I work as a nutritional consultant, magazine writer and personal trainer.

Welcome to the Internet's leading resource on intermittent fasting and all things related.


FeedBurner FeedCount

Google Friend Connect

Join Me on Twitter

Facebook

Follow Me on Facebook

Recommended Reading

Lame Title, Good Book

Recommended Reading

Intermittent Fasting for Fat Loss

Recommended Reading

Covers All Bases

Recommended Reading

Awesome Recipes for The Paleo Diet
Recipes for the Paleo Diet - Two Cookbooks - 120 Recipes Each!>

Recommended Reading

Fat Loss Made Easy

Great Interval Timer

+1 If You Think Leangains is Awesome